Emergency Management is responsible for coordinating Beaufort County's preparation for and response to emergency situations. To adequately address these potential threats, whether man-made or natural, the Emergency Services Department maintains the county's emergency management framework, which outlines emergency response functions.
When Beaufort County activates the Emergency Operations Center (EOC), staff works with the County departments as well as various city, state and federal agencies to respond effectively and quickly to provide for the continuity of services to the public.
Other typical duties of the Emergency Management Department include:
- Collaborate with other officials in order to prepare and analyze damage assessments following disasters or emergencies.
- Conduct surveys to determine the types of emergency-related needs that will need to be addressed in disaster planning, or provide technical support to others conducting such surveys
- Consult with officials of local and area governments, schools, hospitals, and other institutions in order to determine their needs and capabilities in the event of a natural disaster or other emergency
- Coordinate disaster response or crisis management activities such as ordering evacuations, opening public shelters, and implementing special needs plans and programs
- Design and administer emergency/disaster preparedness training courses that teach people how to effectively respond to major emergencies and disasters
- Develop and maintain liaisons with municipalities, county departments, and similar entities in order to facilitate plan development, response effort coordination, and exchanges of personnel and equipment
- Basic Emergency Operations Plan (PDF)
- Beaufort County - Know Your Zone - Map (PDF)
- Fire Department/Emergency Medical Services Budget Template (PDF)
- Flood Mitigation Assistance Application (PDF)
- Hurricane Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Important Information Regarding Inclement Weather Planning (DOCX)
- North Carolina Emergency Management Project Grant Application (PDF)
- Pamlico Sound Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan - 2020